Alternatively, use a prebuild Virtual Box image.
Software to be set up
The following instructions are suited for setting up development in Ubuntu.
These packages (and their dependencies) should be installed via the Synaptic Package Manager
Aldebaran SDK and Toolchain
The Naoqi SDK and the cross-compiliation toolkit are available from the Crayfish server:
scp email@example.com:/repo/CMRoboBits/nao-cross-toolchain-1.10.52+protobuf.tar.gz . sudo tar xfz nao-cross-toolchain-1.10.52+protobuf.tar.gz -C /opt/
scp firstname.lastname@example.org:/repo/CMRoboBits/naoqi-sdk-1.10.52-linux.tar.gz . sudo tar xfz naoqi-sdk-1.10.52-linux.tar.gz -C /opt/
where user is your username
scp email@example.com:/repo/CMRoboBits/choregraphe-suite-1.10.52-linux.tar.gz . sudo tar xfz choregraphe-suite-1.10.52-linux.tar.gz -C /opt/ sudo ln -s /opt/choregraphe-suite-1.10.52-linux/choregraphe /usr/bin/choregraphe
Use git to check out the repository from crayfish to your computer. You will need to clone the primary repository onto your machine:
git clone ssh://firstname.lastname@example.org/repo/CMRoboBits CMRoboBits
This creates a subdirectory CMRoboBits at your current directory and checks out all the code there
This repository is solely for you to download the code and receive updates throughout the semester. Read on how to create your own repository.
Setting up your environment
Define the environment variables
- AL_DIR - point to the NaoQi SDK (/opt/naoqi-sdk-1.10.52-linux if you followed the instructions above)
- CTC_DIR - point to the CTC (/opt/ctc if you followed the instructions above)
- CMURFS_DIR - point to the code (typically ~/CMRoboBits)
to define the variables permanently,
- Open ~/.bashrc in your favorite text editor and add the following to the end
export CTC_DIR=/opt/ctc export AL_DIR=/opt/naoqi-sdk-1.10.52-linux export CMURFS_DIR=~/CMRoboBits
- Then type source ~/.bashrc in the terminal
Add Robots to /etc/hosts
- Open /etc/hosts in your favorite text editor (with super-user privileges, e.g. sudo vi /etc/hosts) and add the following
192.168.5.51 apollo 192.168.5.52 ares 192.168.5.53 artemis 192.168.5.54 athena 192.168.5.55 asteria 192.168.5.56 aura
- Open the Network Connections configuration window by clicking System>>Preferences>>Network Connections.
- On the Wired tab, click Add, and then change to the IPv4 Settings tab.
- Change Method to Manual
- Click the Add button to add a new address, and then enter 192.168.5.XXX, where XXX is any number between 60-254.
- Click Save and then click Close.
Install Google Protocol Buffers
The framework uses Google Protocol Buffers ("protobufs") to communicate between some components and to store log files. To install it from the repository:
cd CMRoboBits/misc/protobuf ./configure_local make sudo make install
It is important to use the version from the repository, so that the same version is used throughout.
If you prefer to use the Eclipse IDE, you can set it up by doing the following:
sudo apt-get install eclipse-cdt
Import the project into Eclipse
- Click File->Import...->General->Existing Projects into Workspace
- Browse to the directory where the code is checked out (which will be something like ~/CMRoboBits/)
- Click Finish